Overall, a nice calligraphy set
April 11, 2016
I like that this set comes with multiply nibs, so one can test out options. The packaging is nice, containing the wood nib holder, nibs and ink, all in one container. Now that the ink has been opened, I generally do not lay it down on its side anymore, and therefore have stopped using the package for storage. The nibs seem of good quality, as well. I am a beginner to calligraphy, having only practiced casually in my spare time, and with these nibs, I am starting to get the hang of different techniques and am able to compare the results on paper or different nibs.
- The order and shipment of this product was quite smooth, timely and straightforward.
- The packaging of the product was nice. The variety of nibs (tips) are quite nice, giving a lot of room to experiment with different sizes, and the nibs appear to be of decent or better quality.
- The nib holder, for some reason, did not work out very well. At first I thought there was something wrong with the nibs, but when I tried the nibs in another holder I had (a plume), they worked quite well, and it was only then that I realized the quality of the nibs was quite good. When I inserted the nibs in the holder that came with the package, I could barely write anything, and was scratching my parchment paper more than I was able to scribe anything. When I transferred the nib to my plume, I could write much better, and could actually see what type and size of writing the nibs produced. I do not know if it is something I am doing, or if perhaps the nib holder is a little awkwardly structured, but I had trouble using the holder that came with the package.
- I also would have really liked to have been included with this package a tracing/practice sheet or book/booklet/handout. There is a little paper pamphlet that shows a calligraphy alphabet, but tracing exercises and an instructional workbook would have made this product much more useful to me, as a beginner. I ended up looking up online different alphabets, and just created my own practice sheets, but I have seen workbooks that allow you to practice tracing, much like a cursive instruction book, and that was very appealing to me as a beginner. I would have liked to see a little bit more support and instruction, as this product was labeled great for beginners.
- Also, this may or may not be a good thing, but the ink that came with this package stains the hands/skin quite a bit more than the other ink I have, which is plume ink from London. I do not know if it makes any qualitative difference, but I intend to purchase gloves when using the ink, because it stains quite a bit and is hard to remove.